6 months Aquaculture Report Card

6 months down the road from when we started the aquaculture project, growing tilapia, this is our half year report card:

What Went Well

  1. There are now two tanks of 3000 (6 month old fish) and 6,500 (2 month old fry)
  2. Acquired fresh water testing kits to ascertain the quality of water at changing, however the team better understands how to use behavior cues like response to feeding, color of water to compliment the water testing
  3. Changed feed providers from Ugachick to Sabara feeds which provide better floating capability, at half the price and the fish seem to prefer them too.

What Did Not Go Well

  1. Bought too much initial feed – about 60kg due to recommendation from a sales agent at a feed supplier on later analysis found that they did not even understand the core numbers for the feed they were selling
  2. Initial tank design was using plastic sheeting with wooden poles – struggled alot with maintenance of the tank which was 27″ x 12″
  3. When we moved to concrete tanks, there were structural weaknesses in the construction that led to one of the tanks breaking fortunately with no injuries. The breakage also damaged the plastic sheeting tank forcing an emergency evacuation of all the fish.
  4. The day of the incident with the tanks, was the same day we had 10,000 new fry from the hatchery, so we had no choice but mix 4 month fingerlings with the fry together in a single tank. And the older fish ate the fry!!! Who can believe that Tilapia are cannibalistic – stress, cramped conditions may do that

What does the future look like

  1. Planning to purchase and setup a solar driven submersible pump to support aeration to improve stocking density
  2. Setup a third tank to help reduce the sell off cycle times

As always a couple of photos …

Collapsed tank side

Collapsed tank side

Carrying fish to new home

Carrying fish to new home

Putting the fish in their new home

Putting the fish in their new home

Reinforced tank

Reinforced tank

Reinforced concrete tank that had earlier failed

Reinforced concrete tank that had earlier failed

Feeding 4 month old fish in the new tank – May 2016

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s